Sunday, June 12, 2011

Infamous, Intercision, and an Interview

Josh has been playing this very cool-looking game called Infamous for the past few days. He would probably have finished by now if I didn't keep interrupting him for activities that require his presence somewhere that is not in front of our television.

Have I mentioned our couch is amazing? I love this couch. I'd sit here and play video games all day, too.

Anyway. Infamous. So the player is Cole (?), this guy who through some town-isolating explosion is granted zappy powers and a monkeylike urge to scramble up buildings. Cole saves a lot of people in the city and it appears that gradually turns public opinion to his favor (everyone seems to think he's responsible for the explosion--he wasn't-- and they make a lot of noise to that effect when he walks by). There's some FBI agent outside the city who really wants to find her husband inside the city, but as I said, city is isolated. So she gets in contact with Cole and promises she will get him out and try to clear his name if he finds her husband. Cue fifteen bajillion side quests, and about as many people coming to him for favors... As Cole's over folksy buddy Zeke would say "Yer fucked, buddy! Ain't goin' nowhere!"

It's fun to watch Josh play this game, at least in a look-up-from-what-I'm-doing kind of way.

We watched The Golden Compass last night. Friends loaned it to us, and I really wanted to see it when it was in movie theaters a few years ago. I got an omnibus of the stories a year or so after that and read the first book, the one the movie is based on. It was a solid enough adaptation, right until... the ending. Which was just not there. The ending is not sunshinerainbows, but I was really disappointed the producers chose to cut the movie short. Anyone who only sees the movie and doesn't read the book is being left with a version of the story that's lacking and wrong.

Been applying and applying and applying for jobs, crossing my fingers, and getting "we've chosen another candidate" letters. It's nice to at least get responses, but I certainly wish some of them were yes-ier. Tuesday I have an interview at a conference/hotel space operated by the university, so we'll see. More crossed fingers.

Finished the garden stakes for our plot at Epic. I found el cheapo spatulas at Michael's and painted them each a rainbow color, then decorated them with those smooshed marble bits of glass, a gold paint pen, little designs, and the requisite names of plants. They look pretty neat, and I'm happy to have seen the project through. Need to spray them with the sealant, and then get them out there sometime this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment