Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Guns

I don't want to get shot. I don't think anyone wants to get shot.

I used to think that the perfect world was one where there weren't guns; no one gets shot that way, and it's kind of a win for the earlier wish. I was unimpressed by people who said "It's a right!" or "I feel safer with a gun!" or "I want to be able to protect my family!" and I wrote them off as crazies who just wanted a boom boom stick.

I don't really see it the same way any more. I would still rather there were no guns, and I interpret the Second Amendment differently than pro-gun groups, but I can see how people could read it as saying that American citizens can have guns. I want people to feel safe. And I appreciate that a person would want to protect his or her family. I'll even admit that I think guns in movies are cool. I confess (particularly as a vegetarian) that I don't get hunting, but I know I really enjoyed fishing when I had occasion to do it, and provided hunters aren't shooting each other and obeying the law... It's not my thing but I don't have a problem with it, you know? I've known people who hunt who are great people. That influences my opinion, certainly. And we've got some beautiful space in the United States of America. If an outdoorsman wants to use some of that space to hunt, I don't have a problem with that.

I have a problem with people shooting people. On purpose or inadvertently. And while guns can be used to intimidate, that's what they are for: shooting. If someone is intimidated by a gun it's because they're thinking "Balls, that mother fucker could shoot me. Better do what he says or kick that thing out of his hand right quick." So if someone who wants to rob or harm you comes into your house, or even if you're worried that it might happen-- yes, by all means, purchase and have a gun if it makes you feel safer or could save your family. Nevermind the logistics of keeping the gun accessible in the event of a home invasion but also where kids can't get to it. And if you want to hunt deer or turkeys or whatever, go for it. Maybe don't shoot each other in the face is all I'm saying.

But guns in public. What is that? Why do you need your gun at the park? Why do you need your gun at the farmer's market? Why is anyone so excited about being able to keep a gun in a jacket pocket? Keep your gun at home, Rambo! And if to that you say "Criminals don't keep their guns at home!" and if that makes you too scared to leave your arsenal at your address, well, I hate to put this on you, but that's a personal problem. I've been going out in public places for 24 years, unarmed, and I have yet to be shot. Haven't even broken any bones. Are you afraid of getting shot? Me, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment