Saturday, January 22, 2011

In the midst of things

In the midst of things (and really it's hardly as though the happiness is an island), life seems better than okay lately. School is demanding but not depressingly so, work is demanding but not depressingly so... I guess I'm just feeling buoyant.

(Fuck trees, I climb buoys, mother fucker!)

Got off the phone with Josh a few minutes ago, and it was a fun, long conversation. Love him, love those. My French homework is all done, and tomorrow I will hopefully come home from a shopping expedition with a chair for the desk. It will be so much better to have a surface to spread stuff out when I'm doing work for school. The desk has two shelves on the right side, coming out from that side's legs, and they're convenient for my little stash of writing implements and my notebooks and of course the textbooks themselves.

Financial aid disbursed (quickly!), so I used the money to buy the last outstanding textbook, Reconstructing Human Origins. I think the class it's for is going to be my favorite. Lots of specificity and skeletal emphasis and terms in Latin so I feel hella smart. Truly, what else is college about? I guess some people don't study bones but I feel they're missing out. More or less in that interest I'm going to join the anthropology club at school. I signed up to go to the first field trip, to Ponce Inlet and Turtle Mound. They're not very far from home and I don't think I've been to either before. Should be fun. I've also got all the upcoming lectures I know about on my calendar, and I'd like to go to as many as possible. I wish that I had been brave enough to do these things two years ago.

A lot of my free thought time is devoted to what's going to happen in May. The registrar's office is continuing to withhold the commencement dates for individual colleges, apparently just because it's amusing when students go into a panic. I'm convinced the university not-so-secretly just lives for that. My mom is the chairwoman for Relay for Life in the area where my parents live, and commencement weekend and Relay weekend are one and the same this year. If I could just figure out when my college is graduating (Friday morning, Friday morning!), I can let mom know, and I can figure out when I can be moving.

I'd planned on starting the road trip north the day after commencement, and I think that's how it will end up happening. That won't really leave any time for extended goodbyes or post-graduation parties with my friends and family in Florida, so maybe we can do something in advance. I'm really hoping my ceremony will be Friday morning, and then I can try to have lunch or dinner with friends. Patriet are coming, and my parents (mom said she'd be there even if it was Saturday-- originally she said she wasn't and later my feelings were really hurt, but later she said of course she'd be there), and hopefully Josh's parents. And Josh, of course.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment