Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sitch

Got home midday Monday from a nice Wisconsin visit. It was a little up and down emotionwise, but a very good visit. I will try very hard to get around to writing about it sometime soon.

Came home to a... slightly different situation than the one I'd left. I live with my mom's cousin (who I grew up idolizing and calling "Aunt Pat"), her wife (hereafter "H") and lots of cats and three dogs and an aquarium full of coral and tropical fish. My place is a sweet little suite, sort of like an efficiency with a really nice bathroom. I have a little kitchenette a yard or so away from the foot of my bed. Anyway. There's a door to the bathroom from my room and another from the hallway off the main house.

Sharing the bathroom now with H's dad. Which is not a problem. I haven't even seen him yet. Aside from knowing there's someone in the bathroom a few feet away from me when the light comes on when I'm trying to sleep, there haven't been any snafus or weird smells or undealable-with unpleasantries. The door to the bathroom from the hallway stays open now, so that H's dad can access it. No problem there, either.

But the litter box for the cats I'm watching (pretty much by way of rent) was in the bathroom, and I'm watching them because they're meant to stay away from the other animals. So now the cats live full time in my room, and as of last night their litter box does, too.

I love animals. I'm a girl like that. I think animal abusers are scum. I've also learned that with the great cuteness of cats comes great responsibility. I hate the smell of cat pee. HATE IT. I put baking soda in the litter last night and I'll make a point of scooping as often as possible and I burned a Yankee Candle for the better part of the evening and will again tonight and my air circulator plug in thingy has been running nonstop. But if that smell becomes a part of my living arrangement I will go bonkers.

The cats peed on my bed when I stayed with my parents over the Fourth of July weekend. They had plenty of food and water and even treats and I cleaned their litter box right before I left, but they peed on the floor and on my bed. This violation cost them dearly on the Alex's Trust front. So far no problems, but I'm nervous to leave them here while I'm at work and school for the whole day.

I'd prefer they never went near the bed again, but I know they'll sleep on it while I'm gone. So the plan is to cover everything with a blanket I'm not emotionally or financially attached to when I'm out and hope for the best. I do have access to laundry at home now, so if anything happens I'll have a quick, hopefully quiet freak out and then apply antismell enzymes and wash wash wash.

On a Beach Boys kick lately.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment